The art of combining recorded sound waves and virtual instruments into a greater musical whole
There are countless building blocks you can use to sculpt your song:
- Your own voice or instrument
- Other people’s voices or instruments–this could come in the form of loops, sampling, or remixing entire songs.
- Easy-to-play virtual instruments on an iPad, iPhone or iPod.
(2) Mixing and editing
- Add effects to your guitar until you sound like Hendricks, Bono, or Van Halen.
- Add reverb to your voice so you sound like you’re singing in a cave.
- Record several takes, then pick out the best parts of each to sculpt an ideal performance.
- Mix and EQ everything to perfection, so your sound is crisp, tight, and fat.
- Publish your work on soundcloud and start a following.
- Send your project to your friend so he or she can add tracks or remix it.
- Send a song to your grandmother; she’ll get a kick out of it.
With thanks to Rebecca Grodofsky for the artwork